Monday, December 14, 2015

The Sister Speech

Child2, my half sister,  posted a new picture for her background today.  I think it was her grandkids.  Beautiful little girls!  They are so cute.  I had to just stare at them and compare them to my kids and grandkids.  The youngest was crying her eyes out.  Child2 says she loves it.  Yeah... she has the same rotten sense of humor as me.  Those pictures are taken to be used as ammunition later.

This is going to be awkward.  There is no way this can be anything but awkward.  Do I say "yeah, I have been stalking you for several weeks.  Thanks for posting that picture of the grandkids!  I floated on it all day and fantasized about swapping grandkid stories and sending each other little trinkets to give our grandkids."  Maybe someday, but it's going to be awkward for a while first.  I am her father's sin.  That family prays a lot.  I have no idea which way God is going to tell her to lean.

No status change from Child1.  She's probably busy making last minute Christmas gifts, if I was going to guess.  She hasn't been married very long.  If I go by the exchange on Facebook, she just decided to get married, got married, and told everyone about it later.  Yeah.. that's something I would do.  Did do.  Would do again.

I love them already.  That's crazy, right?  Siblings who live together don't always love each other.  I love them.  I have always loved them, or at least the idea of them.  If they are really angry that I exist and that I am out here, willing to wait my whole life to talk to them, then that's just how it is.  I am a pretty patient woman.  Love is a decision.  You make that decision every day of your life to make a marriage work.  I don't see why it wouldn't apply here.  I have decided I love my sisters.  I just need L to log in and see his results and ponder his life for a while to figure out how to break this to them.  If they say something a little crazy, I will forgive them.  That's what you do when you are family.


I have a speech I say to my kids when they squabble.

Throughout your life your friends will come and go.  Your spouses might come and go.  Your parents will eventually leave you, and when you are all alone and look around you, the ones left standing behind you are your brothers and sisters.  They know who you are, and love you anyway.  They know about your childhood fears and if you are smart, your adult ones.  They are the ones that will be there for you, even when they don't want to, because they love you.  Of all the things I could have given you in your life, your siblings are the most valuable gift.  So be good to them.  Love them, even when they don't deserve it, because one day, you are going to need them when you don't deserve it.  

How can someone who has said that for 30 years decide anything besides "I love my sisters?"  I did this to myself.













0 comments :

Post a Comment